The SEO Thread

Let loose all your Dingo-ey goodness

Moderator: dingo

kegan5

The SEO Thread

Post by kegan5 »

or The Crappy SEO Thread to be precise...as requested.

I'm guessing you want to initially reach Australian people to get this forum moving ? You should have an Australian domain name .com.au and host the site on an Australian Server.

Google personalises results and so lets say someone living in Sydney types in "Chat Forum" into google, they will get a list of forums most likely but yours is unlikely to be at the top, because its showing the user results it thinks are relevent to not only the terms entered but also the location.

Your server is currently in Canada.

Apart from that get talking, the more content the better...just don't talk rubbish.

Oh and make constant links to your blog from here and perhaps link back to relevent posts from your blog to posts on this forum.

There are a number of things to do in order to ensure decent search engine positioning, but that should help for now.
dingo
Site Admin

Re: The SEO Thread

Post by dingo »

Ye I know the server is located overseas.

In google webmaster tools, I have the target audience set to Australia though.

Also, I have a phpBB3 SEO kit installed, hence why all the threads URLs have "tags" in them....or basically its the subject without the small words like "the" and "and". It has also removed the "?sid=34624578924y056245625" fields from after my URL.

I've also put the web link to each separate section on here in my signature on all the other forums I frequent, including a very big one that you're also a member of! :D

I'm trying to get the site listed in alexa at the moment. You any idea how to do that?

How do you usually get your companys sites ranking up? Paid links? link exchange?
kegan5

Post by kegan5 »

No link farms are bad practice, well they are at least for what I do... Google usually removes sites it sees using link farms.

Your best bet is to comment blogs, relevent ones and link to relevent posts on this forum things like that... Dmoz is a good directory to submit this too also.

As long as you link to relevent pages and they have decent rankings, yours will go up too.
eoinzy
Site Admin

Post by eoinzy »

Ye, forums are notoriously hard for that though.

I need content on this site to link to. My blog just covers my travels as well so unless I do up a new blog, which is very time consuming.

Then, if i go searching for other blogs in the hope of finding one where i can place 1 single link, it doesnt really seem worth it.